August 26, 2013

Realize That It's You | Guest Post by Sheila

Hey, my name is Sheila. I'm a normal girl. I run track, do my homework, and hang out with friends. But not everything about me is normal. And today I want to tell you about how I make my life awesome.

It started with a quite: "The good news is that one person has what it takes to change the world. The bad news is that you haven't realized that it's you." I don't remember who said it, but I loved that quote. But for the longest time I had no clue it was talking about me.

That changed last year. I won't go into details to protect her privacy but someone I love was hurting really badly. I wished I could help her, make her a little happier. See, I would take on the world for any of my friends and she was no different. That's when my old quote popped into my head. I could do something. I could change the world. So I decided to try.

My goal was simple: to make the world a little happier. Being there to listen, telling sincere compliments, writing letters, giving our friendship bracelets, just a few things I try to do every day. I even listen to strangers vent online, giving advice where appropriate, and started a blog dedicated to my cause.

But if I'm pouring my heart out to some internet stranger, I might as well be honest. See, no one ever said changing the world would be easy, but neither did they say how heart breaking it can be. I learned that the night I failed to talk someone out of suicide. But now I know it's worth the hurt. Because since then I've touched countless other hearts and even saved three lives. Making a difference and inspiring others is all I want to do with my life and I could not be more excited to see what the future holds.

But I didn't write this to talk about my story. No, I want to talk about yours. Reading this, right now, is someone with the ability to cure all sorts of diseases, if they only believed in that skill and took a chance on it. Reading this, is someone whose art could hang in galleries all across the country, if only they decided to chase that dream down. Reading this, is someone who has the potential to raise millions of dollars to end hunger, if they only had the courage to start. Every single person at this site has undiscovered potential, creativity, and intelligence. And it will stay undiscovered unless something or someone brings it out. What's your passion? Whatever it is, your dream comes second to nothing. Because when everyone is chasing their goals, and being the best they can be, the world automatically becomes a better place.

So before I go today, just think about something: What's stopping you from doing something beautiful? Something inspirational? Something life-changing, or even world-changing? Because chances are, the only thing stopping you is yourself. Chances are, you sell yourself short. You haven't let go of that voice in the back of your mind that says you can't do something awesome. But you've forgotten something: that voice doesn't know your potential, your creativity, your intelligence. That voice is holding you back. That voice is a liar. You can accomplish more than you think with a simple goal and some motivation. All you have to do is realize that quote wasn't just talking about me. It's talking about you.

*****

Sheila is currently a freshman in college and wants to be an inspirational speaker when she grows up. When she's not trying to change the world, she loves running, baking, and drawing. Catch up with her or share your own world-changing story at http://how-to-save-the-world-by-eva-marie.blogspot.ca/.

No comments:

Post a Comment