October 31, 2013

Punch fear in the face.

Chances are, once you begin your hero's journey, or your path to awesome, there's going to be some major obstacles. They may be physical obstacles, lack of money, verbal opposition, ignorance about how to follow your purpose, or many more challenges. Today I found some amazing writing on how to overcome the universal challenge well-known to all who seek greatness: fear. 

If you haven't read Start by Jon Acuff yet, I recommend it!


This book is an easy, entertaining read, but full of insights. I love what Acuff says about fear:

"Fear tends to argue both sides of the coin, leaving you absolutely no room to stand. Here are two of the complete opposite things it will tell you: "Don't chase your dream at all." And, "If you chase your dream, you have to do it all at once."

Do you see the absurdity of that? "Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it!" fear screams. Then, when you ignore those cries, fear changes its tactic and screams, "Do it all at once! Do it all at once!"

Both of those statements are lies.

As you stand with one foot still on the road to average and one foot on the road to awesome, you've got to kill those concerns. Fortunately, there's a trick that will take care of them both. 

Just start."

Have you seen fear working like this in your own life? In all my endeavours to do good, fear has been right up in my face telling me I have to move faster, faster faster! If I don't do it all right away, it will be too late! I'll be too old to become great at this sport. I'll be too late to make a difference with my service. I'll be too late to make a change in my life because it won't seem genuine to others. I'll be too late...

I wonder how many great dreams, goals, and life-changing acts have been conquered by fear's lies. Unfortunately, so many people don't realize how absolutely untrue these doubts, worries and fears are. You don't need to fall prey to the same trap.

Any thoughts that make you doubt your worth, abilities, potential or capacity to do good are not worth your time. They are simply not true

This is not to say that we need to push those thoughts away by filling our minds with arrogance, pride or distractions. Instead, address those thoughts, identify them as lies, and replace them with truth. How? I'll share one way that Acuff suggests. And this works--I've tried it. Don't wait. Do it today. 

"Voices are invisible bullies, and they hate when you make them visible....Every time you take a step toward being awesome and a voice gets loud, write it down. Don't ask, "Is this a voice?" before you do. Just write. Fast and furious and imperfectly. Scribble as many as you can down, and then refute them with truth."

Take a piece of paper and draw a line right down the middle. Like this. 


Use a pen, a crayon, or even a purple marker. Just do it right away. Don't let procrastination, fear, or laziness get in your way. On one side of the page, write your biggest fears. On the opposite side of the line, write two positive opposites for each fear. It might look something like this:


Write fast. Write your real thoughts. Don't worry about making it perfect, because this exercise naturally echoes the perfect, real you. 

Once you feel like you've refuted a sufficient number of fears, here comes the fun part! Take a deep breath. Feel that courage? It might be small, but it's in you. By conquering your fear, you're letting your courage blossom. Now rip that page right down the line. Save the positive side. I keep mine in my purse, so if I'm nervous before a social situation it's right there, ready for me to whip it out and remember why what I do makes a difference. 

Then BURN the other half. Destroy the lies. Have no mercy. I'm not joking. Rip up the page. Rip it up and then burn it. Rip it up, burn it, and scatter the ashes to the wind. Whatever it takes to always remember that these lies have no place in your life. 


Just don't set your lawn ablaze. If anything like that happens, don't say you weren't warned. ;)

And throughout all of this, be sincere. Realize that those truths reflect the real you. Realize that you have the strength and power to overcome any and all of your fears. 

Are you up for the challenge? Are you willing to destroy your fears? Comment below once you've burnt or otherwise destroyed your fears. You can even take the next step and share some of your positive truths! Remember, fears hate it when you make them visible, so take advantage of this opportunity. Just start. You've got this.

Next week I'll report back how striving to overcome my own fears has changed how I live each day. Until then, keep following your own path to awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment